ECOLOGICAL AND INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGIES FOR RECOVERING INDUSTRIAL AREAS FROM LCA AND ENERGY EFFICIENCY POINT OF VIEW
The rapidly growing world energy use has already raised concerns in developed and developing countries, the environmental
regulations are becoming stricter and this is noted in the recent European Directives which aware the need for reducing
environmental impacts and to increase energy efficiency. It is well known that the construction industry is one of the major
responsible of the environmental damages, buildings construction sectors are responsible for 36% of the global final energy
consumption and nearly 40% of total direct and indirect CO2 emissions, so to manage these is important to start to calculate
these emissions and the environment impact for both new and existing buildings.
Industrial sites employ energy-intensive systems to heat, ventilate, air condition, light, and otherwise support processes and
personnel, these support functions consume up to 33% of all energy used in manufacturing sub-sectors. As the industrial
buildings play a major role in the use of energy and natural resources, it is necessary to start to implement in the educational
sector the carbon footprint, studies about the materials efficiency of the industrial areas through the Life Cycle Assessment
(LCA) and the use of renewable energy sources to satisfy the energy demand of the industrial constructions for facilities and
industrial processes. The need for energy restoration of the industrial buildings will highly help to implement in a pedagogical
way the use of the new technologies such as thermography cameras, laser scanners and drones, in the energy efficiency
combined with BIM (Building Information Modelling) and LCA.
The RecoverIND project will deepen the interconnection between energy efficiency, LCA and the use of advanced
technologies for building and rehabilitation projects from the
construction sector with the upgrading needs of knowledge in the educational sector. To contribute to overcome the situation
described above, the main objectives of RecoverIND are:
– Strengthen the awareness about the environmental impacts and climate change.
– Producing a useful tool for discerning between the suitability of rehabilitation or the rebuilding of an old industrial building.
– Introducing the new technologies of energetic rehabilitation in industrial buildings at educational level.
– Providing information among interdisciplinary of new technologies of data acquisition, BIM and LCA.
– Improving the energy efficiency of industrial buildings.
– Free access to OER platform of RecoverIND to agents involved in the construction sector (students, teachers, researchers,
enterprises, AEC professionals, etc.).